ZANMI SASYE—PARTNERS WITH SASSIER is a not for profit organization which partners with groups in the Sassier area to bring hope, create opportunity and improve lives for the 10,000 inhabitants living here in Haiti. Since 2006, we have provided or facilitated more than $2 million in direct assistance and investment in the Sassier area. Our work builds upon and complements efforts begun in 1998 by Sacred Heart Parish in Winnetka, Illinois, which is the Twin Parish of St. Jean Baptiste Parish in Sassier.
We focus on three principal areas:
- Health Care and Humanitarian Assistance;
- Community and Economic Development.
Our key accomplishments over the past include:
- organizing a significant group of international collaborators who provide substantial financial, technical and operational support to the Sassier community, including the Catholic Archdiocese of New York, Association for Schools in Hispaniola (Verein fuer Schulen im Hispanioloa), Kindermissionswerk, Catholic Relief Services, and a group of medical professionals from Western Michigan;
- facilitating funding and providing management and technical assistance for the construction of four schools with more than 50 classrooms in Sassier and other parts of the Grand Anse province, with a fifth in development for construction in 2015; total investment exceeds $1Million;
- providing funding, management and technical assistance the development and construction of the Sassier Regional Medical Clinic, in collaboration with the Haitian Ministry of Public Health;
- facilitating and providing funding, management and technical assistance for the education of more than 950 students in three schools in the Sassier area, including 800 students in Preschool through 13th Grade at Institution Pierre Toussaint in Sassier;
- facilitating funding and providing management and technical assistance for a $200,000 project that rehabilitated the deplorable road to Sassier including the construction of a mile of two lane concrete pavement on the worst sections; roviding technical and managerial support necessary to implement the foregoing projects;
- organizing, funding and managing visiting medical teams of American and Haitian medical professionals;
- provided technical assistance and funding to provide medical care, food and sustenance to more than 2000 migrants who fled to Sassier after the January 2010 Earthquake;
- organized and managed a team of 8 doctors who served the victims of the January 2010 Earthquake at St. Antoine Hospital in Jeremie in February 2010;
All our Officers and Directors are volunteers and receive no compensation. Most also absorb all their own expenses for travel, lodging, etc. and contribute generously to Zanmi Sasye financially. More than 90% of donations are directed to projects in Haiti that directly benefit the Sassier community. See our yearly financial reports [insert link]